The Supported Decision Making Policy takes a rights-based approach to assist participants to make decisions in the NDIS, while building the skills and knowledge of decision supporters, NDIA staff and partners.
The implementation plan has 5 key themes for the NDIA to action, these are:
- Increase opportunities for participants to make decisions
- Support participants to develop skills and knowledge
- Build skills and knowledge of decision supporters
- Build skills and knowledge of NDIA staff and partners
- Strengthen the supported decision making approach in the appointment, operation and review of nominees.