Taking action on disability discrimination
It is against the law for people to be treated unfairly because of their disability, unless there are particular circumstances. This booklet discusses the laws and processes that protect people from unlawful discrimination in Victoria.
It includes case studies that outline findings against discrimination in a range of settings – at work or accessing education or other goods and services. It also includes a step by step guide on how to make a complaint and what process and outcomes you may be able to expect.
Use the links in the sidebar to navigate to all the sections of this booklet.
© 2017 Disability Discrimination Legal Service Inc
Published by DARU, print and online, May 2018
This publication is protected by Australia and International copyright laws. Community based and advocacy organisations may apply to DDLS and DARU for permission to reproduce copies for free distribution to the public.
The contents of this booklet do not constitute provision of legal advice. The information is general comment only and cannot be used for any specific case without getting prior advice from a legal practitioner. The authors and publishers – Disability Discrimination Legal Service and Disability Advocacy Resource Unit (DARU) – expressly disclaim any liability to any person in respect of any consequence resulting from a person’s reliance in whole or in part on the contents of this booklet.
This is a 50 page document. For best effect, print the download below double sided in booklet format or contact DARU to arrange a copy to be posted to you.Download booklet (PDF)
- Part 1: Have I experienced discrimination?
- Part 2: What action can I take?
- Part 3: When is discrimination allowed?
- Part 4: Quick references
- Process flow chart option 1: Complaint submitted with the Australian Human Rights Commission
- Process flow chart option 2: Complaint submitted with the Victorian Equal Opportunity & Human Rights Commission
- Process flow chart option 3: Complaint submitted directly with the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal
- Flow chart option 4: Complaint submitted directly with the Fair Work Commission
- Disability Discrimination Checklist