Strengthening Disability Advocacy conference 2014
Champions of change
Welcome to the Strengthening Disability Advocacy Conference 2014, which brings together champions of change from across Australia, representing many sectors and issues.
This conference takes place at a time of great change and importance:
- the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is being rolled out, with launch sites operating amid much political, policy and practical uncertainty
- the Victorian state disability plan 2013-2016 has been in place for a year
- the new Federal Government has been in office for a year and its first Budget has outlined major changes to disability eligibility and support and the defunding of Australia’s Disability Discrimination Commissioner
- disability advocacy organisations are set to commence the final year of our three year contracts
- a state election will be held in Victoria in just a few months.
This year’s program therefore seeks to take stock of the dramatic changes we have seen since we met up last in 2012 and the challenges and opportunities we face in the coming years. We want to look at what change has been achieved, how it came about, whether it has delivered what we hoped for, and what our priorities now must be.
We look forward to coming together with you all to:
- learn more about the big issues facing people with a disability including employment, inclusive education, the justice system and the NDIS
- discuss new and creative ways to advocate for change
- meet new people and increase your professional and personal networks.
We hope these two days provide you with much food for thought, lots of connections, and practical tools to help with your work. Of course, we also want to make sure you have some fun too!