In 2012 the Former Prime Minister Julia Gillard said the NDIS would “transform the lives of people with disability, their families and carers”. She claimed that for the first time, people “will have their needs met in a way that truly supports them to live with choice and dignity”.
From July this year New South Wales and South Australia the NDIS will be fully rolled out. But many disabled people and their families – and their advocates – claim the system isn’t delivering.
Panelists joining Hugh Riminton in this round table discussion were:
- Jordan Steele-John – Greens Senator from Western Australia
- Therese Sands – Director, Disabled People’s Organisations Australia and an expert advisor to the NDIS’s Independent Advisory Council
- Damian Palmer – Father of Bethany who is using the NDIS
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), Disability Care Australia
- Hugh Riminton
- Radio National Sunday Extra
- Date published:
- Sun 11th Mar, 2018