Independent assessments are a big change for participants, coming into effect in 2021. the assessments will assess the impact of disability on a person’s functional capacity which is the basis for eligibility to the NDIS and will determine the supports in a person’s plan.
So far 8 assessment tools have been tested over two pilots where around 600 assessments were completed. The purpose of the pilots was to test how independent assessments, would be implemented and to make sure the way independent assessments are applied is in line with the NDIS Act, and the Productivity Commission’s 2011 advice.
This report outlines what has been learnt so far. Key points include:
- There is no single assessment tool, which is disability-neutral, and matches the World Health Organization International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (WHO ICF) and the requirements of the NDIS Act.
- 6 tools will be included in the independent assessment toolkit.
- More testing is needed to make sure that consistent and reliable results between different assessors, and different types of participants are produced.
- National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
- National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)
- Date published:
- Mon 12th Oct, 2020