The Australian Government asked the Productivity Commission to undertake a public inquiry into a long-term disability care and support scheme.
Amongst other things, the inquiry examined:
- how a scheme should be designed and funded to better meet the long-term needs of people with disability, their families and carers
- how to determine the people most in need of support, the services that should be available to them, and service delivery arrangements
- the costs, benefits, feasibility and funding options of alternative schemes
- how the scheme will interact with the health, aged care, informal care, income support and injury insurance systems
- its impacts on the workforce
- how any scheme should be introduced and governed
- what protections and safeguards should be part of the scheme.
The final report is available in full, overview and executive summary or individual chapters in a variety of formats.Download report (off-site)