The VMIAC is the peak Victorian non-government organisation for people who have experience with a mental illness or emotional distress. VMIAC engages in a number of activities, which include information provision, advice, mutual support and self-help, individual, group and systemic advocacy, research and evaluation, and education and training.
The VMIAC, as a consumer organisation, is committed to:
- Individual and collective consumer empowerment;
- Consumer participation in all decisions which affect the life of the individual;
- Consumers directing their own recovery;
- The promotion and protection of consumers’ civil and human rights;
- Promoting a better quality of life for consumers;
- Services providers and the broader community valuing and respecting consumers experience;
- Supportive, democratic and safe working environments for all staff and volunteers which are conducive to free, open discussion and exchange of ideas as well as on-going professional development.