SWAA is committed to the defence and promotion of the rights and interests of people with all types of disabilities & of all ages, including people with physical disabilities, intellectual disabilities, learning disabilities, psychiatric disabilities, acquired brain injuries, and neurological disorders.
SWAA tries to help people with disabilities to speak up for what they want and need and to get a fair deal. Sometimes people just need information, sometimes people need help to get the services they need, and sometimes people need help to sort out problems and exercise their rights. SWAA’s advocates can provide people with helpful information in a broad range of areas and, if we don’t have the information you’re looking for, we will try to find it for you or refer you onto another organisation that can help. We can also provide people with disabilities & their families with ongoing support to enable them to advocate for themselves and in some cases we can act as your representative, advocating under your instructions and on your behalf.
SWAA can provide information and advocacy assistance in relation to any issue. Some of the most common issues that we provide assistance with include –
- Accommodation issues
- Employment issues
- Financial issues
- Guardianship & Administration issues
- Mental Health Review Board Hearings
- Legal problems
- Problems with health, welfare & disability service providers (Government & non-Government)
- Barriers to disability access
- All aspects of disability rights
In addition to providing information, referral and advocacy casework for individuals and families, SWAA also engages in systemic advocacy and community education and supports disability self help groups.
- Type of Advocacy:
- Individual Advocacy, Self Advocacy & Campaign Groups, Systemic Advocacy
- Area of operation:
- City of Warrnambool, Corangamite Shire, Shire of Glenelg, Shire of Moyne, Shire of Southern Grampians
- 45 Hider Street
Warrnambool Vic 3280
- (03) 5561 4584
- PO Box 480
Warrnambool Vic 3280