The concept that all human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights is not new. However, it has taken time for that concept to translate to how we treat and include people with disability in everyday life.
In this course we will:
- Explain the concept of human rights
- Introduce the human rights model of disability and how it advances the rights of people with disability
- Explain how the human rights model builds on and extends the social model of disability
- Explain some of the key differences between the human rights model and the social model of disability
- Explain why the medical and charitable models of disability are not consistent with human rights principles.