Disability Activist, Author and Presenter
“Is it wrong that I forget I have a disability? I just get on with things; I’ve got shit to do”
Wayne is a prominent, in-demand, and outspoken international public speaker, presenter, advocate, writer and comedian promoting the rights of and opportunities for people with disability and people in the LGBTIQ community. In his career to date Wayne has undertaken a number of speaking opportunities throughout Australia on issues of disability, diversity, and human resources. Wayne continues to build a distinguished career assisting many people with disability into employment and training.
Wayne has many years’ experience working within the Disability Employment Services Program (DES). He has also previously worked within the former Disability Employment Network (DEN), where he has seen the transformative difference well-paid employment can make in an individual’s life. Wayne has experience in all aspects of client relations, human resources, and business administration. He has a keen interest in social and employment policy that ensures the talents and expertise of people with disability are recognised in the workforce and community more broadly. Wayne’s work is focused on ensuring that full participation in both work and community life is realised.
Wayne is a solutions-focused thought leader. He knows there is much work to be done to improve the employment of people with disability. He knows all too well that as a country, Australia cannot let the skills and talents of people with disability go to waste.
Wayne believes his parents won the diversity lottery, as he is a disabled, gay, aspiring drag queen! Wayne now embarks on the journey as a writer with his first book Anecdotes of a Disabled Gay. His book is a collection of the shit people say to a thirty-something-year-old disabled gay man.
Wayne’s career highlights include:
- 2018 International guest speaker at the Canadian Association of Supported Employment National Conference.
- Winner of the 2017 ACT Chief Minister’s Inclusion Award
2017 TEDx Canberra Speaker
- Advising employers across Australia on the importance of a diverse workforce that includes people with disability.
- Consultancy work with various Australian Public Service (APS) agencies on issues facing people with disability.
- Providing extensive human resources advice and support in relation to the employment of staff with disability.
- Current member of the Disability Employment Working Group chaired by the Australian Public Service Commission.
- Current deputy chair of the ACT Government LGBTIQ Advisory Council.
- Current member of the ACT Government Disability Reference Group.
- Previous member of the board of directors for Physical Disability Australia.
Wayne has a unique, humorous, thought-provoking, and challenging insight into the issues facing people with disability.
Find out more about Wayne at:
To contact Wayne, contact his agent: Libby Henderson- Kelly ICMI Speakers and Entertainers:
Friday 14th September, 2018: 9:30am - 9:50am
Wayne Herbert, Disability Activist, Author and Comedian is the MC for the day and will introduce the conference theme. This is followed by a ‘Welcome to Country’ presented by an Elder from Wurundjeri Land & Compensation Cultural Heritage Council Aboriginal Corporation.
Friday 14th September, 2018: 4:00pm - 4:00pm
A wrap of the day’s proceedings and some key ‘take home’ messages.